The Environmental Health Course examines environmental health issues in the Peruvian population, and includes coursework and field visits in Lima, the biggest urban setting in Peru, and Iquitos, the largest city in the Peruvian Amazon. Topics include urbanization and health, Peruvian environmental legislation and policies, One Health approaches in Peru, climate change impacts in Peru, heavy metal contamination, and biodiversity and sustain able consumption. Students will be asked to present a project at the end of the course, describing causes, exposure pathways, and impacts to human health of a chosen environmental health issue, and suggest solutions through a research proposal or a community intervention.
- Location: Lima, Iquitos
- Term: Summer (July 1, 2019 – July 26, 2019)
- Language of instruction: English
- Language prerequisite: Intermediate Spanish
- Contact hours: 96 academic hours
- Credits: 6
- Cost: $2,100 (includes housing in and round-trip flight to Iquitos)
- Application deadline: May 17, 2019
Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Program Manager through Contact Us.